Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy (a tip of the hat to the Americans of yore)

I saw the following video at Renee Katz's blog, Adventures in Existence.

Disney's Reason and Emotion is one of the most moving works of art which I have seen in a while. It's not often that I get to see something which captures my values so well; I couldn't believe it as I watched it. I was getting choked up.

I was moved by the fact that a generation of people DID exist who not only could have received the ideas in that video, but also valued them enough to pursue and win a war. The fact that a society of people could exist with even that level of respect for reason was a big inspiration. Sometimes the state of public discourse in America gets me feeling pessimistic and I wonder if reversing the trend is possible. That video proves that it's possible to be better than what we've got now. Do we see inspirational cartoons inciting us to fight the irrational religious horde of the Middle East? Not yet.

They earned the title of The Greatest Generation.

1 comment:

Zerz said...

It's so sad that we have to refer to the WWII era as "yore."